Thread Number: 608
Ok ...which one is it?
[Down to Last]

Vacuumland's exclusive eBay Watch:
scroll >>> for more items
Post# 5997   12/18/2006 at 12:36 (4,299 days old) by sukething ()        

I see alot of our younger members either do not know the difference or has this changed and I did not know that it had been changed.

Do we not say what vacuums are? If vacuums are tanks and what vacuums are canisters?

Is not an Electorlux considered a tank? Isn't a GE swivel top, or Filter Queen a cansiter?

Most of you taught me this years ago and I always believed you, so now maybe we or I need to teach the younger collectors how we correctly descirbe our vacuums?

No, am I being picky, well maybe I am...hehe..sorry


Post# 5998 , Reply# 1   12/18/2006 at 12:37 (4,299 days old) by ian88 ()        

Uprights and Cylinders, thats all I know them as..then again i'm British ;p


Post# 6005 , Reply# 2   12/18/2006 at 13:51 (4,299 days old) by vacuumkid3 ()        
I think...

that Electroluxes are canisters and a Swivel-Top or equivalent is a "pot style" or something like that. Truthfully, it doesn't matter. Most people know what you are talking about either way you put it. There are only two types of vacuums in my opinion: uprights and canisters. But there are two types of canisters: canisters and "pot style." That is just my thinking.

Post# 6011 , Reply# 3   12/18/2006 at 15:31 (4,299 days old) by appliguy (Oakton Va.)        
Originally Electrolux's were considered tank or cylinder

while vacuums like early Eureka Roto-Matics and Ge Swivel Tops were considered pot vacuums. By the start of the 1960's I think the canned ham Eurekas and vacuums built like them as were considered cannister vacuums. Then by the start of the 1970's I believe people considered all tanks and cannister vacuums as cannisters regaurdless of their shape. If anyone else can shed some more definite light on this interesting question I would love to know the right answer for sure myself. Patrick Coffey

Post# 6016 , Reply# 4   12/18/2006 at 16:08 (4,299 days old) by swingette ()        
good question

if you MUST be precise, an Electrolux XXX is a tank (or cylinder) cleaner. i prefer "cylinder". a swivel top cleaner is a canister. its shaped like a canister of cookies or flour. of course, most people understand a canister to be any straight-suction cleaner with a hose.

Post# 6017 , Reply# 5   12/18/2006 at 16:09 (4,299 days old) by convertible68 ()        

The only machines I refer to as "tanks" are the Electrolux, Metro, etc., machines. All of the others I refer to as "canisters", including GE swivel-tops.

Post# 6027 , Reply# 6   12/18/2006 at 19:12 (4,299 days old) by frkirby511 ()        
I agree

...I always remember vacuums like Electrolux or the Kenmore Commander [long cylinder shape] called tank type cleaners; cleaners like Filter Queen, Compact, GE swivel top and Constellation -- i.e. any shape other than a cylinder would be called a canister. It is only in the most recent years that I have ever heard a tank or cylinder cleaner called a canister.

Post# 6049 , Reply# 7   12/18/2006 at 23:47 (4,299 days old) by hygiene903 (Galion, OH)        
I agree too

hygiene903's profile picture
that the cylinder shape vacuums used to always be referred to as tanks (or "tank-type") while the kettle shaped vacuums were the cannisters. And of course, uprights were always uprights.

Forum Index:       Other Forums:                      

Comes to the Rescue!

Woops, Time to Check the Bag!!!
Either you need to change your vacuum bag or you forgot to LOG-IN?

Discuss-O-MAT Log-In

New Members
Click Here To Sign Up.

Discuss-o-Mat Forums
Vintage Brochures, Service and Owners Manuals
Fun Vintage Washer Ephemera
See It Wash!
Video Downloads
Audio Downloads
Picture of the Day
Patent of the Day
Photos of our Collections
The Old Aberdeen Farm
Vintage Service Manuals
Vintage washer/dryer/dishwasher to sell?
Technical/service questions?
Looking for Parts?
Website related questions?
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy
Our Privacy Policy