Thread Number: 41022  /  Tag: 50s/60s/70s Vacuum Cleaners
Hoover Celebrity rubber motor ring seal/switch question
[Down to Last]

Vacuumland's exclusive eBay Watch:
scroll >>> for more items
Post# 435484   11/26/2020 at 11:07 by fan-of-fans (USA)        

fan-of-fans's profile picture
I took apart my Constellation today to have a look at the switch. The rubber gasket on top of the motor I noticed was very oily feeling. I washed it before putting back in, but it still felt oily.

I have had the vacuum apart before but never noticed this. Has anyone else had this happen? Is the rubber breaking down?

Also the reason I took apart is some time ago the toggle switch broke and it's stuck in the on position. The switch just flops loosely but doesn't do anything as far as powering on or off. I was hoping I could take it apart to reseat something, but apparently it's riveted together.

Anyone know of a replacement for the Hoover flippy switches? I know they are NLA, but nothing else seems it would fit. Maybe I could substitute a metal toggle switch but the opening would be too big.

Post# 435495 , Reply# 1   11/26/2020 at 14:19 by MadMan (Chicago, IL, USA)        

madman's profile picture
Are we talking about a Celebrity or a Constellation?

A picture of the switch might help. There's a good chance a generic switch can be used as a substitute.

Post# 435518 , Reply# 2   11/26/2020 at 21:20 by fan-of-fans (USA)        

fan-of-fans's profile picture
Oops, I put Celebrity in the title, I meant a Constellation. The switch is the flippy beige toggle like the Convertible, cheaper Celebrities and other models used. Looks a bit like a light switch.

I took it out, and it's riveted together, no way to get it apart. It's held in place by two black metal clips that snap together over the switch.

Here's a pic in this link:

I did find a similar switch on eBay for sale, but as you can see it has that extra fiber piece. I wonder if it could still work somehow.

I've even thought of substituting an ivory light switch, but it would be too big.

Post# 435526 , Reply# 3   11/27/2020 at 01:32 by MadMan (Chicago, IL, USA)        

madman's profile picture
You might be able to make that one on ebay work. You might be able to take a rocker switch and make it fit. The hole is rectangular, take some measurements and hop on and see if one will fit in the hole.

Possibly, though I doubt it, you mentioned a light switch. The old fashioned small light switches (those ones you could stack up to three high?) that *might* work with some finagling.

Or... drill the rivets and fix the switch.

Post# 435528 , Reply# 4   11/27/2020 at 06:12 by vacuumlad1650 (Coal City, IL)        

vacuumlad1650's profile picture
"The old fashioned small light switches (those ones you could stack up to three high?)" called Despard switches. Special order at most hardware stores

Forum Index:       Other Forums:                      

Comes to the Rescue!

Woops, Time to Check the Bag!!!
Either you need to change your vacuum bag or you forgot to LOG-IN?

Discuss-O-MAT Log-In

New Members
Click Here To Sign Up.

Discuss-o-Mat Forums
Vintage Brochures, Service and Owners Manuals
Fun Vintage Washer Ephemera
See It Wash!
Video Downloads
Audio Downloads
Picture of the Day
Patent of the Day
Photos of our Collections
The Old Aberdeen Farm
Vintage Service Manuals
Vintage washer/dryer/dishwasher to sell?
Technical/service questions?
Looking for Parts?
Website related questions?
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy
Our Privacy Policy