Thread Number: 41000  /  Tag: 50s/60s/70s Vacuum Cleaners
Foot Switch Button, and Spray Gun Questions for Kirby 519
[Down to Last]

Vacuumland's exclusive eBay Watch:
scroll >>> for more items
Post# 435324   11/22/2020 at 06:25 by RubyRocket (Washington)        

rubyrocket's profile picture
So I have a Kirby 519 that needs a new power switch button. The switch itself works just fine, but the cover button is missing. Does anyone know which one/which color I need? From the look of the vacuum, it should just press on over the metal plunger in the housing. Is that correct?

I also wanted to know if the glass jar for the sprayer was special in any way. I am curious if it was a generic mason jar or not. I don't have the jar and would rather not buy another suds-o-gun to get the jar for my set.

Post# 435327 , Reply# 1   11/22/2020 at 09:01 by Lesinutah (Utah)        

lesinutah's profile picture
The 519 would have a red push button power switch. Kirby sells either green or tan. If you contact kirby needs on eBay he probably has one or can paint one.
The sprayer was for the suds o gun. This was you for spraying paint, cleaner etc. The jars are kirby specific. There are quite a few companies who sold a similar glass bottle sprayer for vacuums.

Post# 435355 , Reply# 2   11/23/2020 at 04:12 by vacuser (milford,ohio)        
switch button

vacuser's profile picture
i probably have an original red switch button for it if you can't find one.

Post# 435357 , Reply# 3   11/23/2020 at 06:10 by RubyRocket (Washington)        

rubyrocket's profile picture
vacuser, if you have a red one, I would love to get it from you. Just let me know. My Kirby is my main vacuum, so I am not sure how well a painted one would hold up.

Lesinutah, thank you for your reply. I was kind of hoping it would have been something like "it was the 50s, just screw on a mason jar..." Looks like I'll be scavenging for a new glass bottle on ebay so I can try out the carpet/upholstery cleaner.

Again, thank you both so much for your help.

Post# 435369 , Reply# 4   11/23/2020 at 22:18 by Lesinutah (Utah)        

lesinutah's profile picture
You can use a mason jar as a replacement. The smaller pint jar is closer to the size kirby used. If you can get the lid to fit it should work. There's no need to buy another jar when it was pretty generic when it was made.
Painted ones are okay but red original is what I would do.

Post# 435427 , Reply# 5   11/24/2020 at 22:53 by vacuser (milford,ohio)        
red swicth button

vacuser's profile picture
email me & we will make arrangements to get your red switch button.

Forum Index:       Other Forums:                      

Comes to the Rescue!

Woops, Time to Check the Bag!!!
Either you need to change your vacuum bag or you forgot to LOG-IN?

Discuss-O-MAT Log-In

New Members
Click Here To Sign Up.

Discuss-o-Mat Forums
Vintage Brochures, Service and Owners Manuals
Fun Vintage Washer Ephemera
See It Wash!
Video Downloads
Audio Downloads
Picture of the Day
Patent of the Day
Photos of our Collections
The Old Aberdeen Farm
Vintage Service Manuals
Vintage washer/dryer/dishwasher to sell?
Technical/service questions?
Looking for Parts?
Website related questions?
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy
Our Privacy Policy