Thread Number: 36519  /  Tag: 80s/90s Vacuum Cleaners
Kirby Nozzle Gasket Adhesive
[Down to Last]

Vacuumland's exclusive eBay Watch:
scroll >>> for more items
Post# 391187   4/28/2018 at 02:26 by BriGuy (Wichita, Kansas)        

briguy's profile picture
Hi all, what's the recommended adhesive to use on a Kirby nozzle gasket? Is it rubber cement? I recently acquired this Heritage 2 that needed a new fan & good cleaning & tune up. It's back in action but needs the gasket adhered better.

  Photos...       <              >      Photo 1 of 3         View Full Size

Post# 391213 , Reply# 1   4/28/2018 at 15:31 by Lesinutah (Utah)        

lesinutah's profile picture
If you are adhering gasket id use clear silicone or super glue. Basically anything that adheres metal and rubber than is clear. The motor housing would need good gasket but most would suffice.

Post# 391227 , Reply# 2   4/28/2018 at 18:43 by eurekastar (Amarillo, Texas)        

eurekastar's profile picture
I always use 3M Emblem Adhesive.

Post# 391236 , Reply# 3   4/28/2018 at 21:21 by texaskirbyguy (Plano, TX)        

3M weatherstrip cement has served me well on these.

Post# 391240 , Reply# 4   4/28/2018 at 22:00 by MadMan (Chicago, IL, USA)        

madman's profile picture
I wouldn't use super glue. It gets hard and crusty and might make an imperfect seal. Granted, it's not perfect to begin with.

A couple tiny dabs of any kind of silicone behind it. No need to smear, as I'm assuming you just want the gasket to stay put, and not to improve the seal, right?

Emblem or weatherstrip adhesive would work fine as well. Kind of whatever you have on hand. I don't think rubber cement would hold it for very long.

Post# 391246 , Reply# 5   4/28/2018 at 23:22 by vacman1961 (North Babylon, New York)        

The adhesive that Kirby uses is a brown rubber cement, it used to be made by 3M, I forgot the Kirby part number, it was something like T110, it has been a while since I ordered it from them.

Post# 391261 , Reply# 6   4/29/2018 at 08:40 by bikerray (Middle Earth)        

bikerray's profile picture
I've always used Pliobond.

Post# 391273 , Reply# 7   4/29/2018 at 14:06 by huskyvacs (Northern Indiana)        

huskyvacs's profile picture
What MadMan says is correct, plus a lot of superglue can eat away at rubber.

I am not sure if this is the product that vacman was talking about, but it fits the bill and does what it says on the tin:

Post# 391308 , Reply# 8   4/29/2018 at 22:50 by Lesinutah (Utah)        

lesinutah's profile picture
Uh dont use the 3m adhesive its to thick and has color to it. Its great if your using it as a gasket but to hold a gasket on its to thick.
Clear silicone. There is a product called goop glue. The people who make sjoe goo make it. Ive used it on quite a few things.

Forum Index:       Other Forums:                      

Comes to the Rescue!

Woops, Time to Check the Bag!!!
Either you need to change your vacuum bag or you forgot to LOG-IN?

Discuss-O-MAT Log-In

New Members
Click Here To Sign Up.

Discuss-o-Mat Forums
Vintage Brochures, Service and Owners Manuals
Fun Vintage Washer Ephemera
See It Wash!
Video Downloads
Audio Downloads
Picture of the Day
Patent of the Day
Photos of our Collections
The Old Aberdeen Farm
Vintage Service Manuals
Vintage washer/dryer/dishwasher to sell?
Technical/service questions?
Looking for Parts?
Website related questions?
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy
Our Privacy Policy