Thread Number: 35723  /  Tag: Recent Vacuum Cleaners from past 20 years
How to change individual brushes on Royal brushroll
[Down to Last]

Vacuumland's exclusive eBay Watch:
scroll >>> for more items
Post# 383460   1/2/2018 at 17:05 (289 days old) by Steve (Makawao)        

Trying to cannabalize a Royal brushroll that has good brushes onto another brushroll that has worn out brushes. Can anyone assist? Do you have to remove the chrome bearing endcaps to remove the brushes? Do they just push out? Apparently the brushes were available independently at one time with their own part #.

Thanks for any expertise here. Aloha

Post# 383513 , Reply# 1   1/3/2018 at 16:05 (288 days old) by vacuumdevil (Denver)        

vacuumdevil's profile picture
Question what model Royal is this?
If it has a wood brush roller it's meant to be replaced and I would go ahead and order replacement the rather inexpensive.

Post# 383572 , Reply# 2   1/4/2018 at 19:20 (287 days old) by Ultralux88 (Denver, Colorado)        

ultralux88's profile picture

If you've got a wood brush roll, those were at one time sold where you could replace the strips, but that was short lived, as most preferred, and rightfully so, to replace the whole thing and save some aggravation. Rainbow did the same on the PN2/E series style head, but eventually quit offering the strips as they weren't popular. The only reason the strip was there on these two was so they could integrate the stiffened bar behind the row of bristles. Wood brushes don't lend themselves to this as well as metal brushes do. The only company that did sell a fair bit of these was Sears for their Whirlpool built P/Ns that has the two strips and a beater bar, the wood those were made of was harder and seemed to take to the strips coming in and out better than most. Metal brush rolls make better candidates for strip replacement in most cases.

Post# 383608 , Reply# 3   1/5/2018 at 11:25 (286 days old) by sptyks (Skowhegan, Maine)        

sptyks's profile picture

The plastic strips seen on many Royal brushrolls are not used for brush replacement. Those strips are called Brush Stiffeners and act like beater bars for vibrating the carpet. 


When the brushes are worn out, you need to replace the entire brushroll.



Forum Index:       Other Forums:                      

Comes to the Rescue!

Woops, Time to Check the Bag!!!
Either you need to change your vacuum bag or you forgot to LOG-IN?

Discuss-O-MAT Log-In

New Members
Click Here To Sign Up.

Discuss-o-Mat Forums
Vintage Brochures, Service and Owners Manuals
Fun Vintage Washer Ephemera
See It Wash!
Video Downloads
Audio Downloads
Picture of the Day
Patent of the Day
Photos of our Collections
The Old Aberdeen Farm
Vintage Service Manuals
Vintage washer/dryer/dishwasher to sell?
Technical/service questions?
Looking for Parts?
Website related questions?
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy
Our Privacy Policy