Thread Number: 18262
Kenmore Cannister hose issue
[Down to Last]

Vacuumland's exclusive eBay Watch:
scroll >>> for more items
Post# 200579   9/13/2012 at 18:47 (2,856 days old) by super-sweeper (KSSRC Refurbishment Center)        

super-sweeper's profile picture
Hi guys,After receiving a Kenmore canister (Standard "Progressive" Model),I have no hose for it and wish to use it as part of a "Super shop vac",My little project i've been working on...Does anyone know of a way i can say,Use a toggle switch instead of the hose?Can it be wired that way?


Post# 200590 , Reply# 1   9/13/2012 at 19:07 (2,856 days old) by kirbykid (Horseheads,New York 14845)        

can you post pictures of the super shop vac when you are done? and i dont know anything about kenmore vacuums

Post# 200593 , Reply# 2   9/13/2012 at 19:31 (2,856 days old) by super-sweeper (KSSRC Refurbishment Center)        

super-sweeper's profile picture
I will certainly post pictures of the vacuum project when done,Kirby Kid :)


Post# 200630 , Reply# 3   9/13/2012 at 23:40 (2,856 days old) by Durango159 (State College, PA)        

durango159's profile picture
One thing about the Progressive series, they will work a few different model hoses. Of course this can depend on which model you have. Is this a 3 prong hose connection to the suction unit where in this case the hose just controls power for power nozzle, and suction unit, or a 4 prong connection where there is meant to be an electronic suction control on hose handle?

For the most part with Kenmore canisters, the hose is supposed to complete the circuit allowing for power to the suction unit. However, there is a board inside the suction unit which can go bad and cause the on/off switch on the hose to be ineffective and the suction unit only turns off via unplugging. If this were the case where the board was malfunctioning and the suction unit didn't shut off, then you could plug the vacuum into a computer circuit strip and just turn the vacuum on and off with the power switch on the circuit strip.

Kenmore and Panasonic hoses with 3 way on/off switches are quite easy to find on eBay some are around $35.

Post# 201303 , Reply# 4   9/20/2012 at 17:56 (2,849 days old) by super-sweeper (KSSRC Refurbishment Center)        

super-sweeper's profile picture
It's a 3 prong hose Durango159

Post# 201337 , Reply# 5   9/20/2012 at 20:23 (2,849 days old) by sbakerde (Millsboro, DE )        

I have a bunch of used Kenmore hoses if you need one. You can wire in a toggle switch but having it on the handle really is so much nicer.

Forum Index:       Other Forums:                      

Comes to the Rescue!

Woops, Time to Check the Bag!!!
Either you need to change your vacuum bag or you forgot to LOG-IN?

Discuss-O-MAT Log-In

New Members
Click Here To Sign Up.

Discuss-o-Mat Forums
Vintage Brochures, Service and Owners Manuals
Fun Vintage Washer Ephemera
See It Wash!
Video Downloads
Audio Downloads
Picture of the Day
Patent of the Day
Photos of our Collections
The Old Aberdeen Farm
Vintage Service Manuals
Vintage washer/dryer/dishwasher to sell?
Technical/service questions?
Looking for Parts?
Website related questions?
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy
Our Privacy Policy