Thread Number: 34249  /  Tag: Brand New Vacuum Cleaners
Kirby Ultimate G Diamond
[Down to Last]

Vacuumland's exclusive eBay Watch:
scroll >>> for more items
Post# 371106   4/20/2017 at 06:48 (181 days old) by Mixman (Central NJ)        

Thinking about getting one of these soon. I like the idea of the two speeds, I think it could come in handy....as long as is doesn't break down. Just trying to decide which route I want to go. There is one locally on CL for about $70 but it looks like a fixer upper from the pictures. Now if I have to get some parts like a new nozzle, bag or wheels it seems like I could end up putting in another $100 - $150 in parts depending. The other alternative is to buy a refurb on eBay or from Great Vacs for about $350. I know that is a bit much but it saves me the time of sourcing out parts and cleaning it up.

Have any of you gone the refurb route and if so from who? Or have all of you just done your own refurbishing?





Post# 371107 , Reply# 1   4/20/2017 at 06:54 (181 days old) by sebo4me (Cardiff)        

sebo4me's profile picture
The Kirby is easy to work on so doing your own refurb shouldn't cause you any problems.

According to Stan the Diamond edition 2 speed caused problems with motors burning out. Maybe you should speak to him.


Post# 371115 , Reply# 2   4/20/2017 at 08:58 (181 days old) by suckolux (Yuba City, CA)        

suckolux's profile picture
I like having the low speed for the delicate rug and throw rugs, plus on hose it lowers the noise level for just dusting.

Post# 371138 , Reply# 3   4/20/2017 at 13:08 (181 days old) by kirbyvacuum (Long Island New York)        

I have the Diamond ED LOVE it I never use the two speed motor I have used Greatvacs Kirbys and were very happy with them bought the Kirby G3 Vacuum looks like new Lots of luck I love then Doug

Post# 371139 , Reply# 4   4/20/2017 at 13:16 (181 days old) by sptyks (Woburn, MA)        

sptyks's profile picture

The Kirby Diamond Edition experienced many motor burnouts because users did not use the speed switch correctly. Low speed was to be used for only a few minutes (10%) at a time  when vacuuming throw rugs or when vacuuming drapes in hose mode. For the remaining 90% of the time the motor needed to be in high speed mode. Here's why:

 

When the motor is in low speed mode for a prolonged period of time and under load it generates more heat and since the cooling fan is also running slower it doesn't move enough air through the motor windings and the motor overheats and eventually burns out.

 

 Part of the problem was that the speed switch was lit up when in low speed and off when in high speed which confused users who did not read the owner's manual. Therefore these users left the machine on low speed for the majority of the time as they vacuumed not realizing that the motor was overheating. These same users also complained that their Kirby Diamond had poor performance and required multiple trips to the shop to get the motor replaced.

 

Because of all these issues, Kirby removed the speed switch from the Sentria, Sentria II and Avalir.

 

 

 

 


Post# 371142 , Reply# 5   4/20/2017 at 13:48 (181 days old) by Mixman (Central NJ)        

Ok, now I get it. I read the motors on the Diamond were burning out quicker and it is because the switch was never left to be on more than a small amount of time. Thanks for telling me because I would have bought one used it as my "low speed Kirby" and killed the motor too. Well it kind of make me leery of getting a used one because the previous owner could have misused the switch and the motor could be on the verge of going out.

Post# 371148 , Reply# 6   4/20/2017 at 15:20 (181 days old) by larryeddy (Sandusky, OH)        
Ask Chicago Mike!

I think he just did a big buy of a bunch of Kirbys and could build one for you like new!
I love the one he did for me!


Post# 371149 , Reply# 7   4/20/2017 at 16:14 (181 days old) by Mixman (Central NJ)        

Chicago Mike?


Post# 371725 , Reply# 8   5/3/2017 at 04:11 by myles_v (Stafford, Virginia, USA)        

myles_v's profile picture
The Diamon Edition is my favorite Kirby model, I love the delicate switch and it's an attractive design. You shouldn't have a problem buying a used one, Kirby vacs are easy to work on.




Forum Index:       Other Forums:                      



Comes to the Rescue!

Woops, Time to Check the Bag!!!
Either you need to change your vacuum bag or you forgot to LOG-IN?

Discuss-O-MAT Log-In



New Members
Click Here To Sign Up.



                     


Vacuumland home
Discuss-o-Vac Forums
Vintage Brochures, Service and Owners Manuals
Today's Vacuum of the Day
Photos of our Collections
Vintage Vacuum Cleaner to sell?
Technical/service questions?
Looking for Parts?
Website related questions?
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy
Our Privacy Policy